Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Great Debate

Yea Bonds broke the record this year and people will say steroids stuff. People right now are saying A-Rod is the greatest player of all time and he hasn’t won anything. But the biggest debate in baseball and will always be is; Pete Rose. Does Pete Rose after almost 20 years deserve to go to the Hall of Fame? My answer is very simple. No. Now I know Pete broke the all time record of hits in a career with 4526, won 2 gold gloves, an MVP in a World Series, Rookie of the Year and was named to the all century team but he broke a rule and should pay for it. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/playercard?playerId=11901) In my eyes it doesn’t matter how good an athlete or a person is, if they break a rule they should pay the price. I know that a lot of people disagree with me. For example a couple years ago ESPN did a fake trial to see if Pete Rose should go into the hall of fame (http://espn.go.com/mlb/roseontrial.html) and the jury 8 to 4 went against the hall of fame and thought he should be allowed in. People will be behind it until the day he dies but I do not think he will ever be allowed in. He has pleaded over the years to the Hall of Fame to let him in but nothing has worked. But in my eyes betting on anything isn’t right but betting on your own team when you were the manager is taking it to a new level.

5 comments:

Bloom said...

I agree that the pete rose subject on whether or not he should get in is a big issue but I think it will ont be the biggest debate until the Barry Bonds situation comes to a hault. Most people are right now overlooking the pete rose story beause the Barry Bonds' issue is so big right now that the pete rose issue is not even on the scale. I know pete rose has shadderd records but Barry shaterd "the most important one" therefore is more popular.

demosky said...

I couldn't disagree with you more. Pete Rose is a Hall of Fame player no doubt about it. I think not having this man in the Hall of Fame is a disgrace to Major League Baseball.Pete Rose played the game with passion, something most modern day athletes know nothing about it. Not only did he play baseball with love and passion, he played the game at an elite level. Anyone who has the record for most all time hits in a MLB career should be in the Hall of Fame. He gave 110% every time he stepped on the diamond. He is already experiencing a life long punishment of public embarrassment and shame. His gambling problem had nothing to do with his performance on the field. Therefore, Pete Rose should be inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame. If inducted I hope this legendary player is alive to witness it because he deserves to.

Emily said...

I believe that part of being in the HOF is abiding by the "rules of the game". Pete Rose took part in an illegal act against his employers. It's that simple. I agree with you Brian. The tell tale sign, whether the HOF voters agree, will be whether Bonds or Palmero get in too.

Unknown said...

I would have to disagree with you on this one. He has done wonders in the game of baseball like you said and that is all that matters. He may have not been the greatest person but it's what he did on the field that really matters. Nobody can touch him when it comes to this. He paid for his crime and that should be the end of it. The Hall Of Fame is for great baseball players, not great baseball players who didn't commit crimes.

smsinger7889 said...

I don't really agree with you on your argument either. I have to side with Demosky and say that anyone who has a major record in a sport, such as the most career hits in Major League Baseball, should without a doubt be in the Hall of Fame. Regardless of what he did off the field; nobody can deny his greatness on the field. And unlike the Barry Bonds situation, Rose's off-field issues did not improve his in game performance. So yes, Pete Rose should most defiantly be allowed n the Hall of Fame. He has already waited long enough, just let him in.